So 2016 was a very intense year. A lot of growing happened in that year and it was the best year of my life up until that point. So when 2017 rolled around I expected it to be the same, but just as you cannot have two people who are exactly the same in every aspect you cannot have two years that are exactly the same. I went into the year expecting it to be the same ,but it wasn’t. It took me a while to realize that the year had different plans for me and to be honest that took a while for me to come to terms with.
Even though this year was different I learnt a truck load of things and grew in ways I didn’t know possible. So here are 17 things I learnt in 2017:
1. Let the year be what it wants to be. Have goals and expectations but let the year be, and embrace every curveball it throws at you.
2. You don’t know what is truly going on in someone’s life. You may know of a person but you don’t know them and there are a lot of things people go through that they don’t always talk about or put out there.
3. There is almost always someone who is going through the same thing as you or who can relate to you. You just need to speak up ,and if you can relate to what someone is going through let them know because chances are they feel isolated as well.
4. Talk to people. When an opportunity presents itself make conversation with people. 9 our of 10 times you’ll be surprised. Humans were created for communication and although it may seem weird sometimes talk to people, they most likely want to talk to you too.
5. You are capable of so much more than you imagine. You are so full of potential and there is so much that you can do and are capable of.
6. Be 120% you. The quirky, annoyingly optimistic, full of energy you. Whoever you are show that to the world fully.
7. Life happens in seasons, embrace the season that you are in at the moment. It might not be what you thought it would be but it’s there so you might as well embrace it.
8. Life is so much better in community. You weren’t created to live in isolation, it’s a dangerous place to be. Regardless of how small or large that community is, find the one for you and live in it.
9. It’s not all about me. This is harsh but true. It honestly isn’t about me, the world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s about what Christ is doing in and through me and how I am reflecting Him.
10. Do things that scare you or you may not want to do (obviously within reason). They may turn out to be some of the best memories you have and the things that teach you and help you to grow the most.
11. Participate, even if you suck at something. Do it not for the sake of impressing but for the sake of enjoying yourself and having fun. Like Nike says just do it. (Super cheesy…I know)
12. Don’t be afraid to work hard. Self care is a big thing at the moment and I agree with it 100%, but don’t let taking care of yourself become an excuse for not working hard. Don’t be afraid to work so hard that at night you just go straight to bed, from exhaustion.
13. You are loved. It may not always seem this way and it might not always feel this way but you are so, so, so loved.
14. Along with the one above, people notice you. You may feel as through you fade in the background and are unappreciated but people do see you and they will always remember how you made them feel.
15. Jealousy is so not worth it. Everyone goes through struggles and the person that you envy’s struggle may be way worse than you even imagined and you don’t want that struggle. You really don’t want it.
16. Don’t let goals and planning determine your life. Have goals and plan hard but don’t be afraid to take a detour and do something different. Goals are there to direct you not to rule you. Don’t be so stuck planning that you miss out on life.
17. If your relationship with the Lord is boring then something may not be right. One of the characteristics of the Lord that a lot of people forget is fun and adventure. He invented and embodies them, the Lord is everything fun, full of joy, adventure and energy. He is not in the least bit boring so your relationship with Him should not be boring either.
I know this is technically number 18 but I couldn’t leave this one out: People don’t need to know about every single thing that happens to you. Whether that’s on social media or talking to your friends. Definitely share your struggles and what you’re going through but not every single aspect of your life needs to make it there. Some moments are just for you.
So that’s all I have for 2017. I hope it’s been a good year for you, if you want to share something you’ve learnt this year leave it in the comments! 2018 here we come and you better watch out!